26th December 1950 - Speed trials and Beach Race’s at Seven Mile beach, with a field of 30 bikes and 10 cars. Most racing and trails where conducted by the Southern Motor Cycle club and the Light Car Club (Launceston based). The RACT also organised events.

 

February 1954 - The formation meeting of the Hobart Sporting Car Club took place at Bob Young’s (The first treasurer) Used car yard at the old Glacierium , 5 Main Rd Moonah, where about 50 enthusiasts meet to start proceedings.

A closed circuit was mentioned on 13 April 1954 and by May 1955 membership had grown to 347 and the club was running about 3 events a month, Motorsport was on the up and up in Hobart. Kingston was thought of as a venue when Don Elliott said we should do something about racing in September 1955.

December 1955 – A Commitment to develop our own circuit was made on 12 December 1955. Most members first introduction to the Baskerville property was at the end of a Trials Championship event which finished near the Old Motor Cycle Scramble track (on the Baskerville property but opposite the present race track). Owner of the property Baskerville, Calvin Morrisby confirmed his intention to let HSCC have a 99year lease on an area of his then nearly 200 acre property.

24th January 1956 - It was asked what was being done about Baskerville and the late Don Gorringe offered to write to England for details on Aintree Circuit. The chap who found the venue was Ron Caffin – Ron was an ardent supporter to the Club.

Ron was Rep. for a Company that Calvin Morrisby dealt with, either Roberts & Co or Websters, I think. We were all looking for the “site” and after one of the Hillclimbs on the Domain, Ron had asked fellow club member George Maguire to go out to Baskerville and meet Calvin, as he had shown interest in the idea of a race circuit on his own property.

Ron and George headed out to meet Calvin after one of the clubs many Hillclimbs on the Queens Domain.

“We told Bill Caldwell (the President - top man at the Lands Dept) we were going after helping clean up at the Hillclimb. He said “get going now and you could be back before the finish here”.


We did, and were back and the whole committee finished up out there that day. Calvin was delighted, showed us his property and Baskerville Raceway was on its way.

It was by the generosity of Mr Calvin Morrisby, the attainment of one of the chief objects of this Club was brought within our reach many years earlier than could be imagined when Mr Morrisby made available sufficient land near his homestead of Old Beach for a first-class racing circuit.

“The competitors are catered for by a course which will maintain their interest and provide never a dull moment”.

25th February 1956 - A Works Committee was formed for control of Baskerville construction. The Works Committee consisted of Chairman, Bill Caldwell, Don Elliott, Peter Kemp, Norm Williams and Owen Graham. The total cost to be approx seven thousand five hundred pounds. A debenture system was discussed to provide finance.

Bill Caldwell was to see Calvin Morrisby to peg the limits of the course then Barrie Valentine was to plot it on a plane table.

In the layout as designed, the object has been to place a premium on driving skill, while at the same time, exploit the wonderful potentialities of the ground which permits a down hill straight of one third of a mile (½ km), together with interesting corners and a short steep climb.

One and a quarter miles (2km) of roadway has been constructed and sealed to a width of 20 feet (6 metres), that is two feet (60cm) wider than the Midland Highway pavement.

On either side is ten feet (3 metres) of graded and grassed strip as a safety margin for drivers, who over most of the area, may run out of road with little risk across open grazing paddocks.

The work was divided into three stages. First the formation and grading of the earth-works, together with drainage. Secondly, the graveling, compacting, and grading of the pavement. Thirdly, the sealing.

The first stage was done by Public Works equipment on contract, with Club members working on the drainage. The second stage, which included the carting, spreading and rolling of 3,500 cubic yards (3,200 cu.metres) of gravel was done by contract and the third and final stage, which was sealing and surfacing was done by the Public Works Department.

For all stages of work, many Club Members volunteered their services at weekends. Others had made available mechanical equipment.

Elliott Bros were certainly a great help with their trucks, drivers etc but do not forget the many club member’s who dug drains, ditches, any manual jobs. Even the ladies dug ditches etc. Every weekend was a Work day for months, many a BBQ and light entertainment racing on the grass!

Don Elliott, Jack Phillips, George Maguire all built wooden sleds and raced on them behind cars, the things young men would do!

Acknowledgements

The thanks of the committee are expressed to all who have helped with their money, machines, labour or sponsorships --and all enthusiasts.